About me

I'm Annie Rigby from Rexburg,Idaho! My major is Marriage and Family Studies at BYU-Idaho. I'm 21 years old and a Junior. I love music, country dancing, and spending time with my family and friends. I love to hike, play tennis, ride bikes, and watch hallmark movies; where everything has a happy ending. I will be sharing what I learn and impressions I gain while taking Marriage-Family 300! This class will be covering important topics relating to the family. This is my first blog and I'm not a writer, so be kind.

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Understanding Family Dynamics and Theories- Counsel and Family Councils

Home has always been a place of comfort and safety for me. President James E. Faust said, "In addition to temples, surely another holy place on earth ought to be our homes. The feelings of holiness in my home prepared me for the feelings of holiness in the temple." In this post I want to write about two things I feel will help the family dynamics of any home. They are family rules and family councils. Some of my thoughts will come from M. Russell Ballard's General Conference talk in April 2016. Family Rules help unite families with purpose, direction, and safety. I found a list of 11 family rules that I love.

1. We never give up.
2. We say I'm sorry.
3. We like to have fun.
4. We say please and thank you.
5. We give big hugs. 
6. We are crazy.
7. We do forgiveness. 
8. We make mistakes.
9. We give second chances.
10. We chase dreams.
11. We say I love you.

Imagine how much help this would offer a family if they incorporated these rules. During class this week we discussed unspoken rules within our homes, some of them were really funny! One classmate said that if they went shopping and bought stuff that it was an unspoken rule to not tell dad! That's funny and bad at the same time! Tonight I asked my parents what they felt was the one unspoken rule that we had in our family, and it was to always express gratitude. When I looked up the definition of gratitude it states: the quality of being thankful: readiness to show appreciation for, and to return kindness. So why practice gratitude in a family? I think it brings happiness and boosts positive emotions. Gratitude reduces anxiety and depression. Gratitude strengthens relationships. Grateful people are helpful and look past themselves to serve others. I love how our prophet President Thomas S. Monson said, "Have an Attitude of Gratitude." President Joseph F. Smith was asked, how can we cultivate an attitude of gratitude? He answered by saying, "The grateful man sees so much in the world to be thankful for, and with him the good outweighs the evil." 

Elder Ballard gave a talk in April 2016 General Conference on Family Councils. He taught how family councils have always been needed. "We belonged to a family council in the premortal existence when we lived with our Heavenly parents as their spirit children." Elder Ballard said, "Children desperately need parents willing to listen to them and the family council can provide a time during which family members can learn to understand and love one another." He went on to explain how Alma taught, "Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings and he will direct thee for good." [Alma 37:37]  Inviting the Lord to be part of our family council through prayer will improve our relationships with each other. We can, with Heavenly Father and our Savior's help become more patient, helpful, forgiving, and understanding as we pray for help. With Their help, we can make our homes a little bit of heaven here on earth." (M. Russell Ballard, Family Council, address given at General Conference, April 2, 2016) (page 63,64,65) 

I believe family councils can strengthen, protect, and safeguard our family relationships.


2 comments:

  1. Love this Annie! Great job! You may want to share this on your fb so that you can receive comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete