About me

I'm Annie Rigby from Rexburg,Idaho! My major is Marriage and Family Studies at BYU-Idaho. I'm 21 years old and a Junior. I love music, country dancing, and spending time with my family and friends. I love to hike, play tennis, ride bikes, and watch hallmark movies; where everything has a happy ending. I will be sharing what I learn and impressions I gain while taking Marriage-Family 300! This class will be covering important topics relating to the family. This is my first blog and I'm not a writer, so be kind.

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Fatherhood

             Fathers are central to the emotional well-being of their children.  It is impossible to overestimate the importance of fathers.  Overall girls and boys do better in all areas of their lives with a father who takes an active role in teaching, loving, and supporting their children.  Studies show that if a child’s father is affectionate, supportive, and involved, it will contribute greatly to a child’s cognitive, language, and social development, as well as achievement in school. Higher self- esteem is another area that is found when a father is fulfilling his role as a father.

 It is a known fact that girls will look for men who has some of the same characteristics of her dad.  If the father was kind, loving, and gentle, they will be drawn to those same characteristics.  Boys will model themselves after their fathers. They need their approval, and will copy the behavior of their fathers.  If a dad is controlling, abusive, or dominating it is likely that a son could copy that behavior.  However, when a father is loving, kind, supportive, and protective, a boy will want to emulate those qualities. 
            My experiences with my father growing up were wonderful and I cherished every moment. I grew up in a home full of love, laughter, joy, and hard work. My parents taught me at a very young age that if you want something, you have to work for it. My dad Blair Rigby taught me how to work hard and be determined to do my best. He has always told me to never give up and keep trying, even when it’s hard. He has always been very supportive and attending all my dance recitals, orchestra and choir concerts. My father helps me with anything I need.  I trust him and love him so much. I can talk to my dad about anything that I’m worried about, and he will listen. My dad has paid for my college and apartment since I am the last one at home, which I think is so nice. He is the handyman and fixes my phone or bike. I would say my dad is kind, compassionate, strong, and confident, serves others, and so many other amazing qualities. I don’t know what I would do without my father. He has always been the one that has provided and protected our family. Growing up, I felt a sense of well-being, knowing that at night my dad would come home after a hard day of work, and I could see him. I’m grateful for the relationship I have with my dad that has grown throughout the years. I love my father so much!
  A tradition that has been in my family since I was young is we go on a bike ride every Sunday with our father. I love and cherish the times I have gone on bike rides with my dad because I am able to talk to him about anything. It’s nice to have a time to talk to each other and bond. Also to see the nature, and we always pick asparagus when it is in season on the ride. We used to have a garden and would husk the corn together. I always love going to movies, four- wheeling, cross country skiing, and going out for dinner and ice cream with my dad. My dad loves travelling and so I have enjoyed going on vacations with my father and mother. We plan a big family on trip every year, and it’s so fun! Whether it is Hawaii or camping in Island Park, a family cruise, or a beach house in Florida, the time together is priceless memories.  We love to go to museums, explore new places, eat yummy food and just be together as a family. I love the holidays with my dad because he makes it awesome! My dad would help me with studies including math because it was my hardest subject growing up. Whatever I’m doing with my dad it’s always a blast! He cares so much for me, and so he will do anything to make it the best experience growing up. My dad wants me to have an amazing future husband, so he helps give good advice. I hope I can find a husband that has the same kind of qualities that my father has.    


No comments:

Post a Comment