About me

I'm Annie Rigby from Rexburg,Idaho! My major is Marriage and Family Studies at BYU-Idaho. I'm 21 years old and a Junior. I love music, country dancing, and spending time with my family and friends. I love to hike, play tennis, ride bikes, and watch hallmark movies; where everything has a happy ending. I will be sharing what I learn and impressions I gain while taking Marriage-Family 300! This class will be covering important topics relating to the family. This is my first blog and I'm not a writer, so be kind.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

"Yes It's Supernatural, It's Godly"

I have really loved this class from Brother Williams! I have learned so much that I know will help me in my future life. I was struck by Brother William's comment this week that, "Marriage is not natural, in fact it's supernatural, it's Godly." The blending of two lives takes work, sacrifice, and a lot of love. It's putting your companions' needs above your own. 

In "The Marriage Box" I see that some of the lessons in this chapter on family relations tie into what we gain as we marry, whether it is a blended family or first time marriage. 

"Most people get married believing a myth that 
marriage is a beautiful box full of all the 
things they have longed for; companionship, 
intimacy, friendship, etc. The truth is that 
marriage, at the start, is an empty box. You
must put something in before you can take 
anything out. There is no love in marriage.
Love is in people, and people put love in 
marriage. There is no romance in marriage.
You have to infuse it into your marriage. A 
couple must learn the art and form of the 
habit of giving, loving, serving, praising 
keeping the box full. If you take out 
more than you put in, the box will be empty." 
- Author unknown 

Of course, everyone wants their marriage to last, and be healthy and strong.  But there are many couples in blended families.  The U.S. divorce rate is around 45 percent, the blended marriage divorce rate is around 67 percent.  There are so many situations where families are trying to form successful blended families.  As with anything in life there will be rewarding and challenging times.  
Maintaining marriage quality in blended families is really important and communication is key. It's important to spend quality time together, and present a unified parenting approach to children. Arguing in front of children will encourage them to come between you. 

Because marriage is ordained of God, we know we can have our Heavenly Father's help.

 I love the quote by Elder Bruce R. McConkie: "The whole aim and purpose of the gospel is to enable men and women-unified as one in the Lord to create for themselves eternal family units in eternity.  Celestial marriage prepares us for the greatest joy and happiness known to mortals and for eternal life in the realms ahead." 

We watched this music video by Brad Paisley- "He Didn't Have To Be", in class and it fit with our class discussion on blended families.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjO1F6oCab8






1 comment: